We all love torrents(for legit purposes) 😛 and most of us use uTorrent. It makes sense as uTorrent is a lightweight BitTorrent client which is a little over 1 MB in size and claims to never hog your valuable system resources. It works great and as far as I remember, it’s my de-facto choice since my introduction to the world of peer-to-peer sharing.
But ever since BitTorrent, Inc(owner of uTorrent) decided to monetize the app and launched the Pro version with enhanced functionality, Free version has been continuously bombarded with Ads and pre-selected Tool-bars, Apps (Bloat) during installation.Earlier it used-to-be non-reversible change which was heavily criticized by the users due to which BitTorrent announced ads could be individually dismissed by users albeit deep hidden in the settings. How not-so-convenient, right? As a normal user will never bother to check their Advanced setting which doesn’t make sense on first look and hence will be stuck forever with the annoying ads. Fortunately, the steps below will guide you to clean up your uTorrent installation from all the ads and banner. 💡
Admit it! A web power user like us hate ads to the core!
Here’s how to disable ads from uTorrent:
- Open Options > Preferences > Advanced. Here you’ll find a large list of flags for the app and a filter box.
- Search for and disable(double click & set false) the following flags:
- As found out by our avid reader – Hakurei06, there are quite a few flags that are not being addressed by the hidden advanced menu in preferences. To do so, after you exit preferences while on the advanced menu, hold down Shift+F2 while clicking preferences again, to view a whole new world of flags and set them false as well:
*These flags may be named slightly differently depending on which version of the app you’re using. So, make sure to use the latest version .
Be careful when editing these flags in the Advanced group and do not unnecessarily edit any other flag not mentioned in the list above. You don’t want to break the installation, right? After doing the step above, just restart the uTorrent and *poof* all ads would be gone! 😀
So here you have your clean and more minimal than ever uTorrent working like a pro 😉
Isn’t it a trouble to launch searches for your torrent on your multiple favourite sites? Well, it’s time to be a power-user and harness search torrent functionality built-in uTorrent itself. So you must have noticed the search bar on the top right side of uTorrent but never used it because it’s preconfigured with Infospace search(another attempt to monetize) which isn’t remotely useful.
So to remove that and make your uTorrent experience awesome, I have compiled a mega list of torrent search engines that you can use in your uTorrent configuration. The list consists of 20+ search engines that you can use to search for torrents directly from within uTorrent instead visiting the sites manually one by one. The list is sorted based on my preference so you can adjust the order as you desire.Wherever possible, I have included the parameters to sort the list of results by descending a number of seeds, so you always get the legit torrent with the maximum number of seeds.
Steps to add a custom torrent search engine list:
- Open uTorrent Preferences.
- Expand the Advanced options on the left and click on “UI Extras“.
- Optionally you may want to delete all your currently listed search engines.
- Open and Copy the whole torrent search engines list as-is and paste it into the box for search engines.
- Click OK and it’s done!
Now all you need to do is type a search term into the form and either hit the enter key right away to search the default torrent search engine or click on the down arrow next to the search icon to pick one of the available search engines from the list. Enjoy. 😎