So, like every year, it’s time to cheer out for MWC 2015 (Mobile World Congress) which will take us on a techoholic journey of 3 days into a world of shiny new tech. I am a big fan of the event myself, wish someday I would be able to have the hands on experience. MWC is like one of the most awaited event for gadget freaks and technobuffs and like every year, MWC 2015 promises to deliver a superdose of Smartphones, Tablets, Prototypes etc.
I am rounding up my top 5 things to expect from this years Mobile world congress event. So here we go:
1. Samsung’s next flagship duo, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge
A lot of eyeballs are set for this event as Samsung is expected to launch their flagship Galaxy series with a lot of first timer things. As we all know, Samsung Galaxy S5 was a disappointed for the company itself due to low sales which resulted in their plummeting profits in 2014. However, this time they have managed to create a buzz and followed by a lot (trust me, A LOT) of rumours and leaks, they need to come bang on right for everyone’s anticipation. We have all seen the special variant of Note series last year, yes, I am talking about Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. It became quite popular as it was first smart phone released publicly to have a curved display on one side. Although Samsung build very few units for the same but their main motive was to get that tech in hands of public before anyone else. However, this time, It is rumoured they will be releasing two variants of Galaxy S6. The Standard Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 Edge variant with dual side curved display. You can also see the hint of the design for same in their Samsung Unpacked invite above.
It will be interesting to see how Samsung Galaxy S6 will fare among their customers and how well they are going to implement the software for its special use case. Always remember, having a good hardware is great, but if your software experience is crippled, no one cares about how many cores your SOC (System-on-chip) has or how many megapixel you can shoot.
Key interesting points for Samsung Unpacked would be:
- Design– Samsung is notoriously famous of their Plastic love for treatment of their all phones including flagship devices which have has been criticized a lot. This would be interesting to see as this year it is rumoured that Sammy will shower some metallic premium love on the galaxy duo. We will need to see how that fares for them.
- Home-brewed processor “Exynos” – This year, Samsung has surprised us all with their announcement to ditch the Qualcomm’s Flagship SOC Snapdragon 810, due to alleged overheating and throttling reasons. Also their beloved 64-bit, octa-core Exynos 7420 chip is built of 14nm architecture which promises to bring efficiency with a lot of power gain and less power sipping over Qualcomm’s 20nm SD 810. Exynos with a 60,978 score – by far the highest on Antutu, it’s clear it aint gonna be slouch.
- Clutter free and *super* light Touchwiz UI – Let’s face it, over the last few year, every time Sammy releases a smart phone they promise to debloat their custom Touchwiz skin but with time it starts showing it’s old, clunky, laggy nature. It would be interesting to see how that fares as I have seen some leaks for new Touchwiz and it looks remarkably cleaned-up.
- Samsung Orbis smartwatch – We have had Smartwatches in market from 2 years now, but last year Motorola changed the game with their Moto 360 and suddenly everyone want’s a round smartwatch now instead of those boring squarish designs. Samsung is rumoured to jump in this round smartwatch business with their Samsung Orbis, which as per the mockups would have perfect blend of hardware and software as it is expected to have a physical ring embedded around the bezel that you can use to navigate elements in the menu.
>> Catch Samsung Unpacked MWC 2015 starting 11pm IST on 1st March 2015.
2. HTC’s One M9 or as they say HTC [letter][number] 😀
I am quite excited for HTC’s next big thing as despite them being on a decline in terms of revenue, they make MOST premium smartphones. I am huge fan of their HTC One series especially from launch of HTC One M7 with unibody aluminium construction. It just feels superb to hold a phone with a built so premium that you actually feel it is worth the price you pay.
HTC One M9 would be the device on my wishlist for the MWC. I may consider investing in the device considering HTC doesn’t mess it up by pricing it absurdly high. HTC One M9 is rumoured to have all the specs you can drool on. With a 5-inch, 1080p display (still a possibility of QHD), with a pixel density of 441ppi. It will most probably be powered by Qualcomm’s latest and greatest 64-bit Snapdragon 810 chip. 3GB of DDR4 RAM will make a debut for the first time in an HTC device. Finally it is also rumoured that HTC has finally put up nice high pixel shooter at the back (20mp Toshiba sensor as per rumour mill) and decided to put their 4uP (Ultra Pixel) sensor on the front. As per the tradition, M9 will also be powered with Boomsound front facing speakers which are a delight to hear to.
HTC is also expected to release a Phablet version as One M9 Ultra/Prime, but I seriously doubt it as after their failure with MAX series due to ridiculous pricing and poor marketing strategy, I wont expect them to foray again into phablet territory.
>> Catch the HTC One M9 MWC 2015 livestream starting on March 1st, 8:30pm IST.
3. Sony’s Xperia Goodness?
Sony would also be joining the convention but they have made it open that they won’t be showcasing the mighty Xperia Z4 smartphone. It feels like they have finally decided to revert the dreadful 6 month Flagship release cycle as a lot of new leaks suggest, we won’t be having the next flagship smartphone before Summers. But as per the recent leaks, I am sure we will be seeing the launch of the all new Xperia Z4 tablet.
Leaks suggests that Z4 tab will have an extremely thin frame coupled with a 2K display. It should be running on the Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 810 with 4 GB of RAM and 32 GB of expandable storage. Folks at XperiaBlog did get their hands on couple of image leaks one being the Z4 tablet and also one mid-ranger smartphone. It will be interesting to see how MWC goes for Sony as things haven’t been merry for them with rumours stating that they may shut down their mobile division soon.
4. Microsoft – New Lumia(s) powered by Windows 10?
Surprise! If you follow MWC events, Microsoft doesn’t like to host an event here. But this time, the nerds at Redmond do have something to share at MWC 2015, and they plan to live stream its event. I have no clue what exactly Microsoft is planning to announce on March 2nd, but I think it is safe to assume that we are going to see one, or more Lumia smartphones for sure.
Microsoft says that they will introduce something to help us “achieve more” which may well points to the fact that those new Lumia(s) may run Windows 10 out of the box. I would be amazed if they come up with their amazing cool tech Hololens at the event to showcase it’s capability to the folks at MWC.
>> Join Microsoft folks for Live stream starting Monday 2 March 2015 at 12:30pm IST.
5. LG’s yet another round face Smartwatch
After LG G watch R, LG has decided to update it with a more classy and stylish LG Watch Urbane and guess what? This timepiece will come with LTE connectivity and a 700mAh juice pack will arguably provide best battery life out of any of the present smartwatches. One of the rumor also states that it may not be powered by Android Wear, so my best bet would be that LG has decided to use WebOS considering they bought it and are already using it on smart TVs.
Urbane has been treated right and the RAM has been upgraded to 1GB LPDDR3 RAM, which, coupled with the quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 SoC, means this thing pack some serious muscle for something that’s made to tick on your wrist. 4gb of internal storage will make sure that you never ran out of space. Its circular 1.3-inch 320 x 320 OLED panel, and premium all-metal silver or gold body will sure make you drool to own one. 😉
So, this was my post about Top 5 things to watch out for in MWC 2015. Feel free to add more if I missed something. You can let me know in the comments section below about what are you looking most forward to in this MWC event.