Hi folks, It’s been a really long time since I wrote something on the Bitsnapper.
Anyway, I’m back with loads of cool stuff to write about 😎
Today, I’m going to tell you about 5 different ways you can unblock and view the banned sites so that you too can watch cat videos on youtube, surf facebook or maybe download the latest episodes of Game of thrones right outta office laptop or college internet lab 😛
Mandatory disclaimer: I am not responsible for bricked devices, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because you got caught. Please do some research if you have any concerns about the methods below before implementing them! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point your finger at me for messing it up, I will laugh at you.
Sounds cool? Let’s do this…
#1. Unblock Sites in Chrome Browser
There are a couple of free chrome extensions which are developed to unblock sites by routeing them through a VPN (Virtual Private Network).
- My personal favourite is Hotspot Shield VPN. (click to install)
- Another good one is Betternet
How to use it?
- You just have to install any of the two chrome extensions and click on connect in top right extension menu. Voila, all sites will be opened.
- You’re free to watch latest movie trailers right away on YouTube: D
Protip: Don’t forget to disconnect it after you entertain yourself. Your office’s network guy might suspect something odd, however, in most of the cases, they are not that canny 😆
#2. Unblock Sites in Mozilla Firefox Browser
You must be wondering why anyone would want to surf the internet on Mozilla if we all have chrome. Not that Firefox is any inferior to Chrome but many UI developers even hate that browser like one of my office fellas, Nitish 🙄
Well, in my case I do my development work on Chrome and use Mozilla Firefox to listen to YouTube music and other stuff. All set 😈
How to use it?
- Go to options on the top right corner of the Mozilla and click on Add-ons, a new page will open. There, search for ‘Zenmate’ or ‘Hotspot Shield’ on the upper right search bar and install it.
- Hotspot shield works out of the box but Zenmate requires a little signup if you want to use it. So after installing Zenmate click on the Zenmate icon and sign up with any random email address and password, Zenmate will start connecting after this.
#3. Tor (The Onion Router) Browser
Tor is a web browser (which is a fork of Mozilla Firefox) specifically built for privacy which works on anonymity network. Tor makes it difficult for anyone to trace your internet activities back to you and is designed to protect your privacy online and unblocking contents. The software is free to install and use. You can download one for your os here.
Protip: You may want to read about these Tor official usage guidelines to ensure your privacy is fully protected while browsing the deep trenches of Internet.
Now you may want to move one step further and download torrents from office. Sounds like nirvana… eh?
For this, you require installing a VPN software client on your machine.
Just install the desktop version of betternet and click on connect button. This would be sufficient to unleash the almighty BitTorrent protocol across them high MBps speeds 😉
Protip: If you use uTorrent as your BitTorrent client, you may want to read how you can remove those annoying ads without purchasing uTorrent Pro.
#5. Mobile Phone
Wondering if it’s possible on mobile too?
Hell Yeah! Same extensions are available for smartphones also.
>> For Android
- You can get it on play store. Search for Betternet or Hotspot Shield.
- Download it.
- Connect it and the game is on.
- Nobody needs to know what you are cooking on phone 😉
>> For iPhone
- Betternet is also available for both iPhone and iPad.
- Click here to download.
That’s all for now. Let us know your pick to browse away from virtual shackles of your office/university in comments below.
Till then, Valar Dohaeris!